Thursday, November 11, 2010

Getting ADB to work with the Samsung Tablet

It is a neat little device, the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. However, as soon as I got one, I wanted to hook it to my computer and run some of my code on it. Easy enough, right? Well, not exactly.

After fighting with it for several hours yesterday, I gave up and called it a day. This morning I posted to the Android developers list looking for help. Then, on a hunch, I installed the Samsung Galaxy S driver pack, and managed to make progress.

I downloaded the driver from here. Make sure that you click on the link that says "Softpedia Secure Download" as there seem to be a lot of ads on the page that try to get you to install other crap.

Once you have the driver downloaded, unzip it someplace. (I threw it on the desktop, because it was easy.) Then, open the control panel, go to System, then Device Manager, and find the SAMSUNG_Android device that should be listed in the "Unknown Devices" section. Right click the device, and select "Update Driver Software...".

Next, select the option to "Browse my computer for driver software", then enter the path to the "USB Drivers" directory you extracted from the download. Make sure that the "Include subfolders" option is checked, and click Next.

At this point, the main USB driver should be found. After waiting a second, you should see a couple of new USB devices show up in the "Unknown Devices" section. One will be a modem interface, the other is the ADB interface that we want to use.

If you follow the same procedure above on these new devices you should be able to get the correct drivers installed. Once all of the drivers are installed, you should be ready to go! Running "adb devices" should show your Samsung tablet.

1 comment: