Saturday, May 15, 2010

What does it take to add the Mob to your existing Android applications?

When I get bored, I code. And when I get money hungry, I also code. I currently have one app out on the Android marketplace, that has been downloaded several times. In all honesty, I didn't expect the app to become the next big thing. I also wasn't sure it would be useful to people beyond myself. But, it seems that there are at least a few other people out there that believe my Movie Track app has some value.

Now, to be fair, I am all for free apps. I have done a lot of free open source development in my time, and have generally enjoyed it. But, I also like to get a little something extra out of my work when possible. So, I have decided I am going to try adding AdMob to my Movie Track program, and see if I can generate a few bucks along the way. (For those that hate ads, I'll also offer an ad-free version for $1.)

Signing up for AdMob is pretty easy. Just hop over to the AdMob web site, and create a new account. Once the account is created, you will get an e-mail with a link that needs to be clicked in order to verify the e-mail account is yours. But, once you have done that, it starts to get confusing in a hurry as to what to do next.

First, some terminology. When I first logged in with my shiny new account, there was a lot of talk about "Advertisers" and "Publishers". Since we are putting ads in to our programs, we are "Publishers". So, unless you want to advertise things in other people's programs, you should look for information that pertains to publishers.

Once you log in to the site, and click on the Marketplace link, the Campaigns tab shows information that is only relevant to advertisers. Or does it? Clicking on the "New Advertiser Training Videos" takes you to a page with videos about how to use AdMob to advertise new products and services. However, if you scroll down toward the bottom of the page, you will also find that there are videos for publishers down there as well.

A quick look at some of those links tell us that we need to create an Android App profile on the AdMob site in order to allow us to put ads in, and track the results. To do this, we need to hover over the "Sites & Apps" tab, and select the "Add Site/App" option from the drop-down menu. Next, click on the "Android App" icon, and scroll down to enter the rest of the information.

As you fill this form out, there is a section for the Android package URL. The help information that is available says it must be a mobile site, or the URL to your package in the market place. (The FAQ says the URL in the market place will be formatted as : market://details?id) However, digging around, it seems there should be a "=" between the "id" and the "". You can find more information at http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/publishing.html.

This left me with a couple of questions that I will probably post more about later as I dig deeper. The first one is, "What is this URL used for?". And the second is, "What if I have not yet published the app? What do I put in there?".

Since this field isn't in bold, I am going to guess that it may not be important what goes in there. But, I like to be complete where possible, so I will be putting in the link to my app in the form of "market://details?id=info.geektaco.movietrack". For the category, I selected "Entertainment", and then I entered a description of the Movie Track program, and clicked the "Continue" button.

It would appear that I entered the correct information, as the next screen I was presented with is a link to download the "Install Code" to add to my program. I went ahead and grabbed the SDK, and a copy of the PDF version of the SDK documentation for later use, and then clicked "Go to Sites/Apps".

Now, we are getting somewhere. We should now see the dashboard for AdMob. In the dashboard is a link to update your payment information. That part seems pretty straight forward, so I won't go in to detail here.

And now, for the fun part! Let's add the ads to our program, and go make some money!!!

(Continued in later posts)

No comments:

Post a Comment