Monday, May 3, 2010

Xfce and Ubuntu

The title may be a bit misleading. It is likely that this is really an Xfce issue only.

When I upgraded my Revo from Gentoo to Mythbuntu I ended up with a situation where the font size was significantly larger than it should have been. Okay, perhaps "significantly larger" would be an understatement. The clock on the menu bar was so large, I could only see the bottom lines for the numbers!

Googling around found that the issue was with Xfce trying to determine the best font size by using the DPI values from X. X, in turn, got the DPI information out of the EDID information from the monitor. I am sure in most cases this works just fine, but when you bring a cheap LCD flat panel TV in to the equation along with an ION graphics card, the results are less than stellar.

After searching many web pages looking for the answer, I finally found it in the first place I SHOULD have looked. (Yeah, I can admit when I was being stupid.) If you hop over to the MythTV Wiki at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards you can find the "magical" answer to the problem.

Specifically, you need to add the following options to the "Monitor" section :

Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Option "DPI" "100 x 100"


After this, everything started to look reasonable on my screen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment